Feb 5, 2019

The Hallway



A little over 5 years ago, I walked down this hallway for the first time. I remember it vividly - the dread, the fear, how heavy my body felt. I remember holding Chris' hand tightly as he helped me keep moving forward, because what I really wanted to do was run away. I was afraid of what my prognosis was, afraid of what the doctor would tell me, how hard things would be. It was one of the most difficult moments of my life.

Yesterday, I walked down this hallway for what I hope is the last time. After another clear mammogram and physical exam, I was released. As the NP finished with me she said with a grin, "I hope we never see you again." The feeling is mutual.

I am so thankful for all of the staff that I encountered at the Cancer Center at Froedtert & Medical College. The doctors, nurse practitioners, nurses, aides, and even the scheduling staff, are all top notch - not only for their knowledge and skill, but also their humanity. I wish that none of you ever have to deal with that terrible C-word, but if you do, I would recommend them in a heartbeat.

But for me - I'll be happy to never see them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment